The contents of this policy/agreement may be modified by the administrative team of each school to fit the needs of the particular learning community. However, any changes may not supersede the guidelines provided by the district's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
As new technologies continue to change the world in which we live, they also provide many new and positive educational benefits for classroom instruction. Therefore, we have decided to implement Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) at our schools. In this initiative, students are encouraged to bring their own technology devices to school to assist their learning experiences.
This document is a contract which we will adhere to as we establish this program within our schools. Please note that students who cannot bring in outside technology will be able to access and utilize the school’s equipment. No student will be left out of instructional activities.
Definition of “Technology”
For purposes of BYOT, “Technology” means a privately owned wireless and/or portable electronic hand held equipment that includes, but is not limited to, existing and emerging mobile communication systems and smart technologies, internet capable gaming devices, portable Internet devices, handheld entertainment systems or portable information technology systems that can be used for word processing, wireless Internet access, image capture/recording, sound recording and information transmitting/receiving/storing, etc.
Only the Internet gateway provided by the school may be accessed while on campus. Personal Internet connective devices, such as, but not limited to, cell phones /cell network adapters are not permitted to be used to access outside Internet sources at any time.
Security and Damages
Responsibility to keep the device secure rests with the individual owner. FRPS is not liable for any device stolen or damages to it on campus. If a device is stolen or damaged, it will be handled through the administrative office similar to other personal artifacts that are impacted in similar situations. It is recommended that skins (decals) and other custom touches are used to physically identify your device from others. Additionally, protective cases for technology are encouraged.
BYOT Student Agreement
The use of technology to provide educational material is not a necessity but a privilege. A student does not have the right to use his or her laptop, cellphone or other electronic device while at school without the approval of school personnel. When abused, privileges will be taken away. When respected, they will benefit the learning environment as a whole.
- The student takes full responsibility for his or her technology device. The school is not responsible for the security of student owned technology.
- The technology may not be used to cheat on assignments or tests, or for non-instructional purposes.
- The student accesses only files on the computer or Internet sites which are relevant to the classroom curriculum.
- The student complies with a teacher's request to shut down the computer or close the screen.
- The student acknowledges that the school's network filters will be applied to one's connection to the Internet and will not attempt to bypass them.
- The student understands that bringing on the school premises or infecting the network with a Virus, Trojan, or program designed to damage, alter, destroy, or provide access to unauthorized data or information is in violation of the AUP policy and will result in disciplinary actions.
- The student realizes that processing or accessing information on school property related to “hacking”, altering, or bypassing network security policies is in violation of the AUP policy and will result in disciplinary actions.
- The school district has the right to collect and examine any device that is suspected of causing problems or was the source of an attack or virus infection.
- The student will not use any device to take photos or video unless it is required for an assignment.
- The student will not use a personal cellular connection to access the internet. All BYOT devices will be required to connect to our district network.
As a student of the Fall River Public Schools, I understand and will abide by the above policy and guidelines. I further understand that any violation is unethical and may result in the loss of my network and/or laptop privileges as well as other disciplinary action.