B.M.C. Durfee High School
"Service Above Self"
Welcome to the B.M.C Durfee Interact Club! This is the third year of an Interact Club at Durfee High School, the only club whose soul mission is to provide service to others.
Club Advisor-Mr. Saurette Room 392
B.M.C. Durfee Interact Club
- Ten members of the club traveled to South Pointe Rehabilitation Home and sang Christmas Carols with the residents. Thank you to the residents of South Pointe and Ms. Duval, our Rotary Liaison, for making our Christmas special.
- The year began with out Fall Membership Drive! We welcome twelve new members to the club with our "Pizza Fling Thing!" A shout out to Curtis, Zack, Mankit, Dave and Angela who manned the Interact Freshmen Activity Fair table. Thank you to Angela, Rebecca and Corinne for creating and distributing the flyers. Finally, a huge thank you to Ms Duval for donating the pizza!
- Twenty-three club members and friends participated in the Fall River Rotary Club's Providence Bruins Night. A great time was had by all. The P Bruins won in a shoot out in overtime, but the best part was that $5 from every ticket sold went to the Rotary's cause to end polio world-wide.
- A special thank you to Andrew O. and Curtis who were invited to speak at the Rotary's Regional meeting on behalf of the club. A special thanks to Andrew who was invited to speak concerning his Rotary sponsored, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards retreat experience over the summer.
- A heartfelt thank you to Rebecca, Angela, Amanda, and Corinne who volunteered at the St. Vincent Halloween Party.
- Many thanks to Erica who designed our new Durfee Interact T-Shirts. They look great! Thanks to all who club members and Rotary members who purchased shirts. Proceeds from T-Shirt sales allowed the club to sponsor two runners in the "Women that Rock" Road Race.
- A huge thank you to Brian, Zach, Curtis, Corinne and Angela for manning water stations along the Road Race route.
- Congratulations to Interact Club members Tara and Rebecca, our sponsored runners, who placed 2nd and 3rd in the Road Race in the women's under 18 division! You guys ROCK!
SY 2010-2011 Highlights
- In June, the Club held its second Executive Board Elections.
- Also in June, the Club members ratified the B.M.C. Durfee Interact Club's first Constitution and Bylaws. Special guest speaker Roger Cabral, President of Fall River Rotary, presented the club with its official Certificate of Organization from Interact International.
- Finally, the Durfee Interact Club participated in our International Service Project. The club raised nearly $50 with the "Change for Haiti" fund drive during school lunch hours and purchased school supplies which were donated to The Fall River Rotary Club Sponsored School in Haiti.
- During the summer of 2010, club members assisted their parent Rotary Club, the Fall River Rotary Cub, to stuff over 100 backpacks with school supplies for needy children. The club advisor, Mr. Saurette, acting Club President, Curtis St. Pierre and Principal Marshall also spoke at the meeting/luncheon.
- In the fall of 2010, club members participated in a school-wide 5k road race for cancer, both as participants and volunteers.
- In another fall project, club members, in conjunction with Youth Voice of Fall River, participated in a city-wide clean up. Members focused on the North Park skate park where they cleaned and repainted the park and its ramps.
- As guests of the Fall River Rotary, members attended a Providence Bruins game at the Dunkin Donuts Center.
- In October, official Club Officers were elected.
- In November, the club sent representatives to speak at a Rotary meeting/luncheon in which the Rotary Club was officially recognized as a partner, and update the Rotary on the projects of the club.
- During the Christmas season, members wrote personal letters to soldiers overseas and collected items for 25 care packages that were delivered to Post 461 VFW.
- Also during the Christmas season, club members volunteered as Bell Ringers for the Salvation Army.
- In February, the Constitution Committee drafted the first Constitution and Bylaws in club's history.
- In March, club members presented at the Fall River Rotary Club meeting and presented the constitution and bylaws to Rotary, and applied for Rotary International Recognition
- Also in March, the Interact began a partnership with the Fall River Rotary to assist in collecting school supplies for a school that Rotary is sponsoring in Haiti.
Many thanks to our "Founders Club" officers SY 2011-2012: President, Curtis St. Pierre; Vice-President, Tara McCann; Treasurer, Corinne Laurianno; Secretary, Claudia Sousa; Membership Director, Lauren Poirier; Public Relations Director, Victoria Oliveira. A debt of gratitude is owed to you for your service.