Promising Season Becoming a Reality

Nathan Carvalho 13'
Staff Reporter
September 15, 2012

The Toppers coming off two consecutive victories were now 2-0.  Going into one of their toughest challenges yet against a hard working Dartmouth team who had just beat Brockton 4-3 on Saturday. Durfee started off the game on a bad note, allowing Dartmouth to score in the opening 3 minutes of the game. After a Dartmouth player headed in a cross off a free kick to put the Toppers behind for the first time this season. 

The Hilltoppers spent the next 20 minutes all on defense, holding off a full of steam Dartmouth team. Durfee kept fighting and earned themselves a corner. And it was shades of the Bridgewater game when senior Amilton Goncalves whipped in the ball and it was met by junior Keith Worlsey who volleyed it into the back of the net to level things up once again before the half.

The next 45 minutes of the game were a back and fourth contest between the Indians and the Toppers. The game consisted off tons of fouls, many headers, and a lot of pressure from both teams. Durfee’s best chance to score in the second half was from Griffin Prescott when he received the ball in the box and attempted a bicycle kick but wasn’t able to hit it right. The Toppers were lead by a very strong Keith Worsley in the back, who held down the game for Durfee. The game ended 1-1, with Durfee glad to walk away with the point, as they remain undefeated going into their game Thursday at Durfee against Diman.

Durfee were extremely confident going up against a Diman team that they beat 6-0 the last time they faced off. Durfee had the upper hand with not only the momentum, but the home field advantage as well. The Toppers started off the game very slowly, not being able to create any real scoring chances. With the Diman Bengals packing 11 players in front of their net, it made it extremely difficult for Durfee to score.

With the score 0-0 at half time, the Hilltoppers were getting frustrated, and impatient. Going into the second half Durfee knew they had to score fast if they wanted to get this game under control. The Hilltoppers were dominating the possession, and working the ball around very well. But none of that mattered with the game still goaless and tied up. As the clock ran down, Dimans sprits and hopes of walking out with a tie grew larger, and Durfees patience grew smaller.

Durfees patience finally paid off with a little over 20 minutes remaining, senior Amilton Goncalves whipped in the ball of a free kick and senior captain Griffin Prescott was able to put the ball in the net off a bicycle kick. Durfee rallied on the sideline and on the field, as they were up 1-0 against a very defensive Diman squad. Durfee didn't want to end the game 1-0, as they continued to attack, they were rewarded once again when they got a penalty kick off a handball.

Prescott stepped up to the spot, and put the ball bottom right scoring his second goal of the game, and giving Durfee the 2-0 lead. Prescott's penalty kick wrapped up the game for the Toppers, sending the Bengals home with the loss.
Durfee were now 3-0-1 (3 wins, one draw).

They remain undefeated in their first 4 games as Durfees promising season is turning into a reality. Durfee goes up against an unknown Randolph team next.