Girls Soccer Starts With a Bang

Bailey Brooks, Gaelen Riley
Staff Reporter

The Durfee girls soccer program is starting off with a bang. Having an undefeated record of 2-0-1, the team is turning around their last two previous seasons by setting their eyes on states. With captains Bailey Brooks, Jalyn Bonanca, and Jenna Melo leading the way, the squad is looking promising. 


To open the season, the soccer team faced Bridgewater-Raynham. With torrential downpours throughout the entire game, the team did not let it affect their play, as they took a 4-1 victory. Freshman Jordyn Gauvin started the game off with a goal in her first start of her Durfee career. Brooks added a goal of her own to end the first half. Bridgewater-Raynham came out strong in the second half scoring a goal. That didn’t stop the Durfee team as Brooks added 2 more to get the 4-1 victory. Gaelen Riley added 3 assists.


The next game was against Dartmouth, against whom Durfee lost in last year's opener with a score of 0-5. However, this time was a different story. Durfee took the lead when Dartmouth fouled Gauvin at the 25 yard line giving Brooks an opportunity to score. Unfortunately, with seconds left in the half Dartmouth was able to counter with a goal by Courtney Fox. Second half was full of great opportunities for both teams, however neither side was able to finish. With 5 minutes left in the game Durfee got called for a handball in the box. Dartmouth’s Korrina Tsonis lined up for the penalty kick and shot hard to the bottom left corner, but goalie, Brianna Camara, came up big when she managed to save the shot. The game ended with a 1-1 draw.


On September 13, the Durfee girls soccer team traveled down the street to face Diman. Durfee came out fast when Molli Fellows took the ball from defense all the way to the goal making the score 1-0. After that there was no stopping Durfee as they added four more goals from Alexis Anselmo, Drew Guay, Jalyn Bonanca, and Kim Cabral. Diman managed to sneak one by Durfee, but it did not matter. The game ended with a 5-1 win.