Home | News | Opinion | Entertainment | Student Life | Trends | Sports    

Durfee football gets first win of season

Jeff Dadonna '11
Sports Editor
October 8, 2010

On Friday, September 24, the Durfee Hilltoppers defeated the Taunton Tigers 22-21. This was the first win for the Hilltoppers against a team from Massachusetts since a 37-33 victory over New Bedford High School on November 22, 2007. 

The winning touchdown in the game against Taunton was scored by senior captain Keith Omosefunmi.

“Coach had confidence in me to keep giving me the ball in the fourth quarter. I followed my blockers and found my way into the end zone,” said Omosefunmi.

Taunton got the ball back with 3:36 left on the clock. Not going down without a fight, the Tigers drove the ball down the field, which prompted Durfee head coach Rob McCoy to call a timeout with 1:30 remaining in the game. 

“Coach told us to fight, fight, fight," senior Jake Brown recalled of the timeout, "and when it comes down to the fourth quarter, it's all about who wants it more and who has more heart.” 

Following the timeout, junior Collin Barboza replaced junior Todd Peixinho at the safety position. Three plays later, Barboza came up big for the Toppers. He intercepted Taunton quarterback D.J. Gomes to seal the Durfee victory. Tresley Duponte had eight carries for a total of 55 yards and two key touchdowns in the third quarter to overcome a 14-3 Taunton lead at halftime. Omosefunmi finished with 20 carries for 118 rushing yards. Durfee’s offensive line played superb throughout the entire game.  

The next game was postponed to Saturday October 2nd at 1 pm. The Hilltoppers traveled to Easton to face Southeastern Regional High School. The Toppers defeated the Hawks 43-8 to improve their record to 2-2. Due to the comparison of the sizes of the schools, Durfee coaching staff received a lot of criticism for scheduling this game. Head Coach Rob McCoy told the Herald News that it was better to schedule a game to keep the players active than to take a bye week so early in the season.

The Hilltoppers dominated every aspect of the game. The score at halftime was 27-0. Senior Corey Burns helped keep the Hawks scoreless in the first half. On the first play from scrimmage, Burns recovered a Hawks fumble, and three plays later he caught a 10-yard pass to gain a crucial first down. 

Tresley Dupont finished the game with 10 carriers for 122 yards. The senior running back had 3 touchdowns in the game. Nathan Habib added the final Hilltopper touchdown midway through the third quarter. Durfee controlled the running game throughout due to the offensive linemen led by Trevor Witt.

"The line set the tone for the game early by coming off the ball with intensity and drive. We executed every play and took care of our own responsibilities," said Witt. Durfee looks to gain its third win in a row Friday at 7pm against Portsmouth High School of Rhode Island. The game will be played at Durfee's Mac Aldrich Field.